Chapter 1: “Lost Chinchilla”
I receive the email at 9:00 p.m. I consider not opening the attached document from the unknown sender but the title of the document is too tempting.
After opening it, I have A LOT of questions.
- Where does one get a chinchilla in Thailand? Is this common?
- Why is the color in both English and Spanish? Why isn’t it in Thai?
- “Fluctuates throughout the day but constant at night” How often are they weighing their pet?
- Is foot length common knowledge in the chinchilla community?
- How does one find out the allergies of their pets? Fresh grass? Warm milk? What if the milk is cold? Are raw onions okay? He will DIE?
There is a lot of weird shit that happens in Thailand… I am confused, but honestly not surprised. I assume that the email is sent to me by mistake — I don’t send a response.
Chapter 2: The Second Email
I receive the second email four days later. This time “Trixy” uses my name. I realize that this must be a prank because 25 km is really far. If this chinchilla was real, they would know that it’s been turned into a mystery meat stick* by now.
I am still a little hesitant because, as I said, there is some weird shit that happens in Thailand — what if it is a girl from one of my classes?
I figure that if I offer to meet her and she denies me then it has to be a prank and therefore it’s someone from my program.
*Mystery Meat Stick: unrecognizable meat, often presented in the form of unnatural shapes and colors.
Chapter 3: It’s Definitely a Prank
I now know that this DEFINITELY a prank. The Netherlands comment and “God Bless” were a great touch.
I decide to play along.
If you have ever seen the Gremlins you will notice some similarities.
- Siawgom -> Mogwais
- Mr. Wing is the name of the owner of the antique shop in China Town.
- The rules are almost identical to the Gremlin rules.
Chapter 4: The Perfect Response
I love this response. Everything from the “fruit kebabs” to the roadkill picture — which I’m almost positive is a rabbit.
The question still stands… Who is this person? It has to be someone from my program. I rule out my close circle of friends for various reasons.
After hours of torture, I beg our program’s GroupMe for the identity.
Chapter 5: Case Closed
After an hour of me complaining to my friends I get the final email with a single photo.
It’s Laura! Who is in my close circle of friends. I was shocked. She got me so good, but it’s okay. I have something BIG coming for her…